Since St Oswald’s Way opened, there have been a small number of changes to the route. These are not shown in the Official Guidebook or on the Maps for Walkers. The changes are shown below, with a replacement part of the map and a new route description for those using the guidebook.
Section 1 (Bamburgh; see page 37 of guidebook.)
19. On reaching the houses, continue along the road into the centre of Bamburgh.
Section 2 (Just to the north of Beadnell; see page 45 of guidebook.)
5. Continue along the roadside path until the edge of Beadnell. Leave the main road as it bends to the right and go straight on, heading towards the village.
Section 4 (Felton; see pages 81-82 of guidebook.) Temporary change from January 2020.
6. Turn left after the bridge, then follow the road to the left at the war memorial. At the next junction, turn left towards the Church of St. Michael and All Angels which, contrary to first impressions, really does have a roof. Just after the church, turn right along the lane, then turn right onto a rough track after the churchyard. As the track bends to the right, turn left onto a footpath through the woodland. When the path reaches a vehicular track, go straight on
7. Follow the track under the bridge that carries the A1, then turn left. At the top, follow the track to the right to reach a field. Walk across the long, narrow field, keeping fairly close to the woodland on the right, until reaching a stile in the far right-hand corner. Cross the stile and follow the path through the trees until reaching a junction. Go straight on, then bear left off the track, following the waymarked public footpath …. (continue as described in the guidebook.)
Section 4 (Weldon Bridge; see pages 84-85 of guidebook.)
11. Pass the buildings and follow the driveway as it bends around to the right. Before the end of the driveway, bear left on a path. Follow the path under the main road and along the River Coquet, eventually reaching a road by the Anglers Arms at Weldon Bridge.
12. Turn left along the road, then bear left, crossing the bridge over the river. After 100 yards, turn right on a footpath through a riverside woodland. After crossing a footbridge …. (continue as described in the guidebook.)
Section 6 (Just to the south of Great Whittington; see pages 120-121 of guidebook.)
13. Cross the boundary at the old windmill and cross the field to reach a footbridge. After the footbridge, turn left along the edge of the field. Turn right at the corner, again following the edge of the field until reaching a gate at the far end.
14. Go straight on up to the top of the hill and head for a gate in the fence in front of you. Go through the gate and bear right, down to a small gate in the far corner of the field.