Since St Oswald’s Way opened, there have been a small number of changes to the route. These are not shown in the Official Guidebook or on the Maps for Walkers. The changes are shown below, with a replacement part of the map and a new route description for those using the guidebook.
Section 1 (Bamburgh; see page 37 of guidebook.)
19. On reaching the houses, continue along the road into the centre of Bamburgh.
Section 2 (Just to the north of Beadnell; see page 45 of guidebook.)
5. Continue along the roadside path until the edge of Beadnell. Leave the main road as it bends to the right and go straight on, heading towards the village.
Section 4 (Weldon Bridge; see pages 84-85 of guidebook.)
11. Pass the buildings and follow the driveway as it bends around to the right. Before the end of the driveway, bear left on a path. Follow the path under the main road and along the River Coquet, eventually reaching a road by the Anglers Arms at Weldon Bridge.
12. Turn left along the road, then bear left, crossing the bridge over the river. After 100 yards, turn right on a footpath through a riverside woodland. After crossing a footbridge …. (continue as described in the guidebook.)
Section 6 (Just to the south of Great Whittington; see pages 120-121 of guidebook.)
13. Cross the boundary at the old windmill and cross the field to reach a footbridge. After the footbridge, turn left along the edge of the field. Turn right at the corner, again following the edge of the field until reaching a gate at the far end.
14. Go straight on up to the top of the hill and head for a gate in the fence in front of you. Go through the gate and bear right, down to a small gate in the far corner of the field.